Paul di Resta`s racing knowledge "will be invaluable", according to Williams, following the Scot`s confirmation as reserve driver for the 2016 season.
The former Force India driver, 29, will continue to race for Mercedes in the German Touring Car Championship.
Di Resta`s role as back-up driver for Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa gives the Scot the chance to revive an F1 career many considered to be over.
He claimed 121 points in 58 races for Force India from 2011 to 2013.
"We are delighted to welcome someone with Paul`s experience to the team," said Claire Williams, deputy team principal.
- Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez to have Arsenal medicals
- Hope Solo: USA goalkeeper suspended for six months for `cowards` comment
- Tokyo Olympic medals may be made from recycled smartphones
- Rio Olympics 2016: Spectacular closing ceremony as Olympic flag goes to Tokyo
- The bizarre psychology of the bronze medal win
- Rio Olympics 2016: Team GB athlete `robbed` at Games after night out
- Metallica performs national anthem at the Stanley Cup Final (VIDEO)
- Christian Benteke: Liverpool reject Crystal Palace bid of £30m
- Arsenal target Alexandre Lacazette `won`t refuse offers`
- 10 Biggest Celebrity ★ Fitness Body Transformation