Indianapolis Motor Speedway to construct dirt track in turn three
Jeff Gordon got a pair of ponies, and Tony Stewart is getting his own dirt track.
Retirement gifts in NASCAR are getting interesting.
On Tuesday, Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced that it will build a dirt track inside turn three for Stewart, who is retiring at the end of the season.
IMS president Doug Boles said on Tuesday that he`s planning to install a 3/16th-mile oval for Stewart`s media appearance on July 5.
According to IndyStar.com, several teams that own dirt midgets will be invited for an exhibition race.
"Tony doesn`t want gifts, per se, but we thought this was a great way to marry his love for dirt-track racing with his love for racing at Indianapolis Motor Speedway," Boles told the IndyStar.
Boles said IMS isn`t going to be doing a lot of dirt races, but the track will be used from time to time.
The dirt track area will still be able to be used as infield parking for the speedway`s bigger oval races, the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400.
- Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez to have Arsenal medicals
- Hope Solo: USA goalkeeper suspended for six months for `cowards` comment
- Tokyo Olympic medals may be made from recycled smartphones
- Rio Olympics 2016: Spectacular closing ceremony as Olympic flag goes to Tokyo
- The bizarre psychology of the bronze medal win
- Rio Olympics 2016: Team GB athlete `robbed` at Games after night out
- Metallica performs national anthem at the Stanley Cup Final (VIDEO)
- Christian Benteke: Liverpool reject Crystal Palace bid of £30m
- Arsenal target Alexandre Lacazette `won`t refuse offers`
- 10 Biggest Celebrity ★ Fitness Body Transformation