England Under-21 manager Gareth Southgate has no interest in succeeding Roy Hodgson as boss of the senior national team.
The 45-year-old has not been offered the role or spoken to the Football Association since the weekend.
Hodgson resigned after four years in charge following the shock Euro 2016 last-16 defeat by Iceland on Monday.
Southgate was considered as a possible temporary appointment while the FA searched for a successor to Hodgson.
BBC Radio 5 live senior football reporter Ian Dennis said the England job is "not what Gareth Southgate wants at this stage" either on a permanent or interim basis.
On Tuesday, chief executive Martin Glenn said the FA wants a new manager in place for the opening World Cup qualifier against Slovakia on 4 September.
However, if the right man was not available by then he said former England defender Southgate would be the "obvious choice" as an interim boss - and did not rule out appointing a foreign manager.
Arsene Wenger is thought to be among those in the FA frame, with his Arsenal contract due to expire at the end of the season.
Former Paris St-Germain coach Laurent Blanc - who managed France from May 2010 to June 2012 - is also reportedly a name interesting the FA.
Earlier on Wednesday, West Ham co-chairman David Gold said Hammers boss Slaven Bilic would not be tempted by the England job, while on Thursday Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers ruled himself out of the running.
The selection process will be led by Glenn, FA board member David Gill and technical director Dan Ashworth. They plan to conduct a widespread consultation process before narrowing down the contenders.
Southgate, who has been in charge of the Under-21s since 2013, has also managed Middlesbrough, taking them down to the Championship in 2009.
- Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez to have Arsenal medicals
- Hope Solo: USA goalkeeper suspended for six months for `cowards` comment
- Tokyo Olympic medals may be made from recycled smartphones
- Rio Olympics 2016: Spectacular closing ceremony as Olympic flag goes to Tokyo
- The bizarre psychology of the bronze medal win
- Rio Olympics 2016: Team GB athlete `robbed` at Games after night out
- Metallica performs national anthem at the Stanley Cup Final (VIDEO)
- Christian Benteke: Liverpool reject Crystal Palace bid of £30m
- Arsenal target Alexandre Lacazette `won`t refuse offers`
- 10 Biggest Celebrity ★ Fitness Body Transformation