Bubba Watson could afford to bogey the final hole and still claim a comfortable three-shot victory at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas.
Hero World Challenge
The world No 4 initially had turned down the chance to play in the exclusive 18-man event, only joining the field after Jason Day withdrew, but ended the week top of the leaderboard after a final-round 66 at the Albany Golf Club.
Having matched Paul Casey`s course record during the third round, Watson carried on in the same manner on Sunday by posting back-to-back birdies from the second and adding further gains at the sixth and seventh.
Successive birdies at the 10th and 11th were followed by a gain at the 14th to move Watson five clear of the chasing pack, before he carded his only blemish of the day when missing the green with his approach into the par-four last.
"The key for me was about staying focused and staying committed to my shots," Watson said. "Even though I was struggling a little bit I was still in it. I tried to play as safe as I could after I got in trouble and I made the putts."
Patrick Reed looks set to move in the world`s top 10 after a bogey-free final round secured him second spot ahead of Rickie Fowler, who birdied nine of his first 15 holes to threaten a new course record only to drop a shot at the next.
A run of eight pars along the back nine saw Jordan Spieth close at five-under 67 to finish fourth as Casey, part of the final pairing alongside Watson, finished alongside Bill Haas a further stroke back.
There are so many easy holes out here with the five par-fives and the reachable par-fours," Spieth said. "For a guy like Bubba (Watson), if he`s hitting it well he makes it like a pitch and putt.
"Hats off to a great champion in Bubba, but I`m certainly pleased with how we finished off the year."
The course record was broken for the second round running after another day of low scoring, as Justin Rose followed five gains in a six-hole stretch along the front nine with four straight birdies from the 14th to end the week with a blemish-free 62.
- Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez to have Arsenal medicals
- Hope Solo: USA goalkeeper suspended for six months for `cowards` comment
- Tokyo Olympic medals may be made from recycled smartphones
- Rio Olympics 2016: Spectacular closing ceremony as Olympic flag goes to Tokyo
- The bizarre psychology of the bronze medal win
- Rio Olympics 2016: Team GB athlete `robbed` at Games after night out
- Metallica performs national anthem at the Stanley Cup Final (VIDEO)
- Christian Benteke: Liverpool reject Crystal Palace bid of £30m
- Arsenal target Alexandre Lacazette `won`t refuse offers`
- 10 Biggest Celebrity ★ Fitness Body Transformation